Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Marvin Gaye Live Video!!

So cool - I came across this video looking for SxSW tickets. I know you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

He's beautiful! After you watch this one, click on Mercy, Mercy, Me and watch that video too.

LYRICS: Mercy, Mercy, Me (The Ecology) 1971

Ah, mercy, mercy me,
Ah, things ain't what they used to be, no, no.
Where did all the blue skies go?
Poison is the wind that blows from the north and south and east.

Mercy, mercy me,
Ah, things ain't what they used to be, no, no.
Oil wasted on the ocean and upon
our seas fish full of mercury,

Oh, mercy, mercy me.
Ah, things ain't what they used to be, no, no, no.
Radiation underground and in the sky;
animals and birds who live near by are dying.

Oh, mercy, mercy me.
Ah, things ain't what they used to be.
What about this over crowded land?
How much more abuse from man can she stand?

While listening to this song, which Gaye wrote 30+ years ago, the reality that our world is in even worse shape now shook me. Some argue that global warming is a natural phenomenon, that one volcanic erruption releases more toxic stuff than all of humanity's pollution combined. (Someone told me this, I haven't actually looked it up yet.) But is this supposed to excuse unsustainable living and working practices? Why are men so tragically shortsighted?

Maybe it's simply ying and yang, ping and pong. Earth knows. This disposable "civilization" is temporary.

No comments: